Sunday, August 16, 2009

Don’t believe the hype.



Recently Yahoo! did a piece on last year’s $1,000,000 FFOC winner Shane Schroeder. I came to the following conclusions after reading the piece; Shane is either much, much luckier than I originally thought or he’s very clever. I think it’s more likely the former rather than the latter. I’m still shocked he won after essentially wasting his first two picks by drafting two of the biggest busts last year in Addai and Larry Johnson. I knew both of those scrubs were way overvalued last year and didn’t draft either one of them on any of my ten teams.

Here is some of Shane’s advice for this year:

“I lean toward running backs; I’ve always done that.”

“There were quite a few young players who performed well last year so I think people are drafting rookies a little higher than they should,”

I urge anyone who drafts with me to follow his advice, because I think it sucks.

I don’t know which RBs he plans on overpaying for this year, but I hope they are the same guys I have been avoiding. I’m more than happy taking a few stud WRs with my first few picks and then rolling the dice in the later rounds on some high upside rookie and 2nd year RBs. Kids, this is how you draft like a champion:

Pick 9 - 85` Bears III
Round 1 : WR Larry Fitzgerald
Round 2 : WR Randy Moss
Round 3 : QB Donovan McNabb
Round 4 : RB Pierre Thomas
Round 5 : QB Matt Schaub
Round 6 : RB Darren McFadden
Round 7 : TE Greg Olsen
Round 8 : RB Chris Wells
Round 9 : TDSP Pittsburgh Steelers
Round 10 : RB Felix Jones
Round 11 : WR Donald Driver
Round 12 : RB LeSean McCoy
Round 13 : WR Percy Harvin
Round 14 : WR Chris Chambers
Round 15 : WR Mark Clayton
Round 16 : RB Tim Hightower
Round 17 : QB Marc Bulger
Round 18 : TE Vernon Davis
Round 19 : K Kris Brown
Round 20 : K Shayne Graham

Keep in mind this is a 2 QB league.
I didn’t take a RB until round 4 and I’m more than happy going to war with squad:

Donovan McNabb
Matt Schaub
Marc Bulger

Two top10 QBs, one of those guys could flirt with top5.

Larry Fitzgerald
Randy Moss
Donald Driver
Percy Harvin
Chris Chambers
Mark Clayton

I have the top 2 WRs & love having Driver’s consistency as my WR3

Pierre Thomas
Darren McFadden
Chris Wells
Felix Jones
LeSean McCoy
Tim Hightower

All of my backs will contribute and any one of them is an injury or depth chart change away from being a top10 back, maybe top5.

Greg Olsen
Vernon Davis

Solid

Pittsburgh Steelers

#1 D

Kris Brown
Shayne Graham

Meh, what can you really say about kickers?

Maybe you shouldn’t take my advice since I didn’t make the final 15 last year and win any of that Vegas money. Yeah, you should follow Shane’s lead since he finished 1st and won the million. Gotta go, off to the draft room!

Didn't get my PE itch fully scratched.

No comments:

Post a Comment